Frequently Asked Questions
1. How many degree programs are there at FURG? Which are they?
FURG has 61 undergraduate programs in the most diverse areas of knowledge. In addition, the University offers 18 graduate specialization programs, 31 master’s degree programs, 14 doctoral programs and 150 research groups certified by CNPq.
2. How many students are there at FURG? How about faculty and staff?
FURG has more than 9,000 undergraduate students and about 300 undergraduates in distance education, in addition to nearly 2,500 graduate students. There are about 900 professors and more than 1,200 staff.
3. Where is FURG located?
4. What are FURG's addresses?
Address: Campus Carreiros - Av. Itália Km 8, Carreiros, Rio Grande, RS.
How to get there
Address: Visconde de Paranaguá street, 102, Centro, Rio Grande, RS.
How to get there
São Lourenço do Sul Campus
Address: Bento Gonçalves street, 372, Centro, São Lourenço do Sul, RS.
How to get there
Santa Vitória do Palmar Campus
Address: Glicério P. de Carvalho street, 81, Coxilha, Santa Vitória do Palmar, RS.
How to get there
Santo Antônio da Patrulha Campus
Address: Rua Barão do Caí, 125, Cidade Alta, Santo Antônio da Patrulha, RS.
How to get there
Bom Princípio Unit - Santo Antônio da Patrulha
Address: Francisco Borges de Lima street, 3005, Bom Princípio, Santo Antônio da Patrulha, RS.
How to get there
5. I need to talk to somebody or a division at FURG, how do i do?
You can consult the telephone number of the University sectors here. Just enter the name of the person (a) or division you are looking for.
6. What bus lines are going to Carreiros Campus?
7. Where do I access the University Calendar?
The University Calendar is available here.
8. What are the internal transportation schedules in Carreiros Campus?
The internal bus schedule can be checked here.
9. I have a complaint or suggestion about the University, where can I go?
You can make your claim to FURG’s Ombuds Office in person, by the website or by telephone (53) 3293.5440.
1. When is FURG's entrance exam?
FURG does not have entrance exam as a way of admission. We use a Unified Selection System (“Sisu”) and other specific admission processes about which you may find here.
2. What is the main way of admission at FURG?
The main way of admission at FURG’s undergraduate programs is by the Unified Selection System (Sisu). Another form of admission is by the Selective Process for the Occupation of Vacant Places (PSVO), which offers vacancies in the modalities of course exchange, faculty transfer, re-entry and degree holder for undergraduate studies.
3. What are the specific selective processes?
Specific Selective Processes are affirmative actions designed to facilitate the admission of indigenous and quilombola students, in addition to those of the Field Education at FURG.
4. Does FURG offer any distance education degree? How do I register?
FURG offers as distance education 5 undergraduate programs, 10 graduate specializations, 4 training courses, and 1 extension course. Access to University undergraduate programs in distance education modality is carried out by specific selective processes, exclusively based on the results of Enem. FURG also operates in 21 support centers in the state of Rio Grande do Sul. For more information, visit Distance Education Center’s.
5. How do admissions to Graduate Specialization, Master’s and Doctoral degrees at FURG are carried out?
The admission processes for Graduate Specialization, Master’s and Doctoral degrees are carried out separately by each Graduate Program. Siposg gathers all admission processes in progress.
1. What is FURG’s Affirmative Action Program?
The Affirmative Action Program at FURG exists with the purpose of promoting the democratization of admission and permanence of students from public schools and Indigenous, quilombola and those with disabilities. You can check more information here.
1. How do I confirm my enrollment?
Confirmation of enrollment is done in the Program Coordination during the first week of classes, by signing the confirmation minutes. It is an essential step, because if you do not fulfill it, either in person or by attorney, you will lose your registration.
2. How is the re-enrollment done?
3. What is the difference between enrollment cancellation and withdrawal?
Enrollment cancellation is the act that terminates the student’s registration in the University. You may, at any time, request the cancellation of your enrollment. Withdrawal, in turn, is the modality that enrolled students can use to interrupt their studies without losing registration. Withdrawn students are enrolled students at the institution and the time they remain off in this situation is not computed for the purpose of course completion.
4. Who is able to do the enrollment cancellation? How is it done?
In order to cancel the enrollment at FURG, you must either go in person or your duly established attorney to the Pro-Rectory of Undergraduate Studies, with a copy of your identity card and a completed Application for Cancellation of Enrollment, signed and notarized in a notary’s office.
5. After enrollment withdrawal, how do I want come back to study?
6. I am on a leave of absence by enrollment withdrawal, upon request. How much time do I still have at FURG?
You can ask for enrollment withdrawals twice only, respecting the deadlines provided in the academic calendar. When the program is semi-annual, withdrawals can be taken for up to two semesters. In annual programs, the procedure can be done for up to two years. The student must renew the withdrawal during the enrollment period.
7. Can I request a transfer to FURG as a student from another university?
Yes. To request a transfer, you must have an active registration at another University. For more information on transfer modalities, contact the Pro-Rectory of Undergraduate Studies at firstname.lastname@example.org or by telephone (53) 3237-3016.
8. I have already started a higher degree program at another University. How can I transfer credits from previous courses taken?
To transfer credit from previous studies taken, you must address to the Program Coordination your former academic transcript and a document with course descriptions.
1. Can anyone request documents on my behalf? And how about withdrawing them?
No. A written authorization is required to withdraw someone else’s documents. For the withdrawal of diploma, a notarized power of attorney is required.
2. How can I obtain documents regarding my academic life at FURG?
You can withdraw your documents via Sistemas FURG with the enrollment number and a password, since there is your CPF (individual taxpayer identification) number and e-mail address registered. Course syllabuses are not available in the Sistemas FURG for those who attended before 2009. If this is your case, you must request your documents at the Student Records Office.
3. I have lost my Undergraduate / Specialization / Master’s / Doctoral diploma. How do I request a duplicate?
You must request at the FURG’s General Records, with a photocopy of your identity card, a marriage or marriage certificate, and an official report of loss or theft.
4. Does FURG participate in the Revalida INEP?
Yes, we do participated in the Revalida INEP, but for now the program is undergoing a system change.
5. What is diploma revalidation / title recognition?
The revalidation of diploma is the recognition of foreign undergraduate or graduate titles/degrees, when you wish to perform technical duties here.
6. Does FURG issue documents in another language?
Upon request, official English translations of FURG’s academic documents may be issued. Requests must be made to the Translation Center on Sistemas FURG.
1. How can I have information about curriculum and the curriculum structure of programs that I would like to apply for?
2. I want to cancel a course/subject, what should I do?
You cannot cancel a subject at FURG, only withdraw. Deadlines for withdrawals are described on the University Calendar.
3. How do I validate complementary activities?
You need to take the certificates to the coordination of your program.
1. How do I find out in which classroom I have classes?
To find out what the classrooms are, you can issue a proof of enrollment via Sistemas FURG.
2. Where do I find studies published at FURG?
To access the studies published at FURG, you can access the University’s Scientific News Portal.
3. Does FURG offer any assistance? What type? Who is eligible to apply?
The University offers assistance such as: transportation, food, permanence aid, child support (former preschool aid) and student housing, according to the specificity of each campus. To request any assistance, you must participate in the call for inclusion, exclusively via Sistemas FURG, and have the criteria established in the Pro-Rectory of Student Affairs’ rules.
4. Is there a University Student House at FURG? How does it work?
The University offers Student housing. It is intended exclusively for the students from other cities or from areas difficult to reach by means of proof of residence showing that you do not have viable ways of commuting to the cities of Rio Grande, São Lourenço do Sul, Santo Antônio da Patrulha and Santa Vitória do Palmar, and only for those who demonstrate socioeconomic vulnerability and who are not benefited by the Free Pass Law (State Law 14.307/2013).
5. Does FURG have an incubator?
Yes, Innovatio is FURG's technology-based incubator. It has the purpose of structuring the incubation process of technology-based companies with the development of the entrepreneurial culture. It is also in charge of supporting technology-based entrepreneurs in the pre-incubation, incubation and post-incubation phases, thus providing appropriate environment and operating conditions.
6. Is there any University Restaurant at FURG? Who can use it?
FURG has three University Restaurants: RU I, RU II and RU CCMar. The University Restaurants I and II are located at Carreiros Campus. The RU CCMar is in the Health Center. The campuses of São Lourenço do Sul, Santo Antônio da Patrulha and Santa Vitória do Palmar do not have any University Restaurant yet. Students, professors, staff and the outside community can use FURG’s University restaurants. For groups outside the University, we request an advance notice that can be made by the e-mail email@example.com or by telephone (53) 3237-3028.
7. How much is it in the University Restaurant? Who is exempt from the fare? Who may receive food assistance?
In FURG’s University Restaurants, all FURG students are entitled to the universal allowance and pay BRL$ 3.00 (Brazilian Real). Students with socioeconomic vulnerability granted by the Student Assistance Call may be subsidized partially (paying BRL$ 1.50) or fully (not paying). For other users, the fare is BRL$ 8.80. The user has the right to choose a type of protein (animal or vegetable), a fruit and a glass of juice. Water and other buffet items are unrestricted. In addition to lunch and dinner, in the RU II there is breakfast for the entire community for BRL$ 3.76. In this case, only students from the University Student House are subsidized integrally. In this meal, the user is offered bread with cheese and ham or bread with jam, a glass of plain coffee or coffee with milk, and a fruit.
8. Where do I look for the RU menu?
You can access the menu on the University Restaurant's webpage.
9. I have a criticism or suggestion about the RUs, how can I get in touch?
Criticism and suggestions about the University Restaurants shall be made by the e-mail nutrition firstname.lastname@example.org or by telephone (53) 3237-3028.
10. What is ENADE? Is it mandatory?
National Student Performance Exam is an evaluation of the National System of Higher Education Assessment and aims to evaluate the quality of Higher Education in Brazil. For selected students who are finishing graduate courses, participation in the exam is mandatory and the academic transcript is issued only under that condition.
11. Does FURG have end of year recess?
The recess of academic activities is predicted in the University Calendar. For administrative activities, the end of year recess is at the discretion of the University management, being published as an Executive Act every year.
1. Where are the libraries found at FURG?
FURG has 8 libraries, 1 central and 7 sectorial. You can access the location of each of them here:
Sectorial Library of the Academic Health Area
Sectorial Library of Santa Vitória Campus do Palmar
Sectorial Library of Santo Antônio da Patrulha Campus
Sectorial Library of São Lourenço do Sul
Sectorial Library of the Oceanographic Museum
Sectorial Library Green Room Judith Cortesão
Sectorial Library for Graduate Studies in Oceanography
2. Where can I search the collection of books?
ARGO is the library administration system at FURG. There you can search the University’s collection of books.
3. How does book lending work?
FURG has two types of book lending: home and local. The home lending is intended for every University community, being indispensable the identification, that can be done by biometry, by inserting of photo in the ARGO system or showing a document with photo. The number of items to borrow and the time for return varies depending on the bond. The local lending is the modality used for reference works (dictionaries, encyclopedias, atlas, among others), which you are not allowed to take home but can be withdrawn from the Library for up to three hours. More information here.
1. How are graduation ceremonies held at FURG?
Since 2006, the graduations are coordinated and executed entirely by FURG to ensure the official and public nature of the act. By providing place, decoration and gowns (academic dress) for all solemnities, the University allows all undergraduates of the onsite and distance courses to receive their relevant diplomas at no cost.
2. I am graduating now, but I have no interest in attending the solemnity. Can I apply for a Graduation Ceremony in Office? How to proceed?
Graduation Ceremony in Office is a ceremony held at the Rector’s Office or another internal University facility in the presence of the Rector and the Chief of Rector’s Office, in cases the students cannot or choose not to attend the degree award graduation ceremony. There are no academic dress required, no class sponsor, honored professor or spokesperson. In this act it is possible to receive the degree by power of attorney when due to force majeure the student cannot be present. Each year, usually in April, graduation commissions are composed for the programs completing activities in the first and second semesters. From this, the procedures and definition of the schedule of solemnities are carried out. More information can be obtained by email email@example.com or by telephone (53) 3233-6683 and (53) 3237-3034.
3. Does FURG have the recordings of graduation ceremonies? Where do I find mine?
FURG keeps graduation recordings in a database. You can access it here.
1. What is Sistemas da FURG?
Sistemas FURG is the University’s computerized management systems, with access areas for students, teachers and technicians. For students, it offers information relevant to academic activities, such as the registration of programs, courses, curriculum, requirements, and transcripts, among other auxiliary information.
2. How do I login to the "Sistemas FURG"?
You must enter with your registration number (students) or SIAPE number (faculty and staff) and the temporary password, which is your CPF number.
3. I have a problem with "Sistemas FURG", what do I do?
4. How to access FURG's Wi-Fi?
You need to connect your device to the network and enter your login information: registration number (students) or SIAPE number (faculty and staff) and password, same as used for the Sistemas FURG.
1. Where do I find FURG’s brand and guidelines for its correct application?
In this link, you can download the Visual Identity Manual and the brand versions of the University.
2. Which are the University’s official communication channels?
3. How can I post news on FURG’s website?
4. I'm organizing an event. Can I use FURG’s communication channels to publicize it?
Yes. To do so, you need to send a request for the disclosure of your event to the Communication Office, by the e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
5. Where do I find out about the Public Notices and Calls?
You can check the Public Notices and Calls posted by the various sectors of FURG in the Public Notices and Calls section of our Web Portal.
6. I'm a journalist and I need some information about the University. Who may I talk to?
Send an e-mail to the Communication Office explaining your need. We have professionals available to assist you. Our email is email@example.com and our telephone number is (53) 3233-6823.
1. How do I request ceremonial for the event that I am organizing? Does FURG offer this service?
FURG provides ceremonial and protocol support for academic events held by its units. Services offered include the production of ceremonial’s script, formation of the directive board and presentation of the master of ceremonies. These services must be requested via Sistemas FURG at least 36 hours prior to the event. The fulfillment of requests depends on the capacity and schedule of the technical team.
2. How do I publicize an event on FURG’s communication channels?
3. Where can I find the events being held at FURG?
4. I have attended an event and need my certificate. Where can I find it?
You can find your certificates in the Check Certificates section.
5. Does FURG have any hosting for event attendees?
Unfortunately, we do not have hosting for event attendees. We recommend that you contact the event organization for recommendations on places to stay.
1. Who is eligible to have an firstname.lastname@example.org?
Anyone who has a registration number in the University can have it.
2. How do I request my e-mail?
You must log in to the login page, click on the “Apply Now” option and fill in your details.
3. How do I access my e-mail?
To enter your institutional e-mail, you need to access Webmail FURG login page.
4. Is there a standard signature for FURG e-mail? Who must use it?
FURG has a standard e-mail signature, you can access how to use it here. The signature must be used only by University employees.
1. Does FURG provide its data for community access?
Yes. University makes its information public on Access to Information. There you can access data on FURG’s bids, contracts, audits, budget, agreements, expenses, revenues, actions and programs.
2. I have not found information I need on the available databases. How can I ask for it to the University?
If you did not find any information regarding transparency in the available databases, you can make a request in the Citizen Information Service Electronic System (e-SIC).